Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Adventures in Apartment Living

So a few weekends ago (a long 3 weekends ago), we had to opportunity visit/house-sit a friend's apartment on the north side of the island. It was the best place I've stayed in since coming to Singapore. There was a giant flat screen TV, an Xbox Kinect (coolest thing ever; I felt like I was Tom Cruise in Minority Report), a clean kitchen, A CAT, a keyboard, a king sized bed, and a clean shower with a lot of water pressure. I felt like I was in heaven, and Karen and Kathleen definitely made themselves at home.

Those two hated the cat though. Which I was ok with, since it meant that I got to play with him more! He's the cutest, friendliest, most tail-less cat ever; the polar opposite of Pixie.

The best thing about having a clean kitchen was that I was able to cook up the mac and cheese that KC so thoughtfully packed for me before I left home. She was right that I wouldn't be able to find it anywhere here. And it tasted like heaven. Nothing like good comfort food from home.

And having a keyboard to play was amazing. It makes me seriously consider buying one for my apartment next year. Between Nick's skills on the keyboard and Karen's skills on the guitar, we were able to put Kathleen to sleep on her recliner in the living room.

The following morning when we woke up and Nick was gone, the first thing I wanted to do was clean the house. It was a true bachelor pad. And you may say I'm just like my mother, but I'm sure ANYONE would have wanted to clean up. There were cups everywhere (sounds like what the house would be like if Daddy lived alone), kitty litter tracked through the whole house, unmade beds, and carpets that hadn't been vaccuumed since Nick came to Singapore in January. The first thing I did was put the sheets in the laundry and start sweeping the hallways. The amount of dirt and kitty litter in the back hallway alone was revolting. After sweeping, I decided to tackle the pile of dirty dishes in the kitchen sink. Always the lazy one, I didn't feel like doing them by hand, so I loaded the mini dishwasher. The only problem was there was no dish detergent. There was some Dial soap by the sink though, and even though the label said "not for dishwasher use," I didn't think there was actually any harm in putting it in the dishwasher. I mean, if it cleans the dishes, it cleans the dishes. Ten minutes later I came back into the kitchen and this is what I found:

If the label on the soap had just warned about this, I would have washed the dishes by hand. Now I understand why Mommy always says, "I want to explain to you why you're not allowed to do this." Valuable lesson learned. And I passed on my knowledge to my future roommates so this doesn't happen in our apartment next year. When I told this story to my aunt later that day, she just shook her head and said, "college kids." I guess everyone has to learn this mistake at some point.

Besides the slight mishap, it was a fun weekend. We've been given the option to go back on weekends, but given the hour and a half commute, I might just stay in PGP. It's a lot more convenient, and now my bathroom is much cleaner! Although it's still lacking, I am grateful for the step that was taken towards cleanliness in our dorm bathroom.

Anyways, I know it's been awhile, but I'm hoping to catch up on my blogging in the next few days. Miss and love everyone at home =)

Love,
Reb

No comments: