Thursday, January 6, 2011

HERE!!!!

Happy New Year from Singapore!! I finally landed here on Monday morning! The flight was so long, but I managed to sit next to some friendly people on the plane, so it made it a little more bearable. I've done so much since I got here, but at the same time I don't know if I'll be able to do everything before I leave in 4 short months!

I feel like I have so much to share about this place that I don't even know where to begin. First of all, everything is green and beautiful and warm! Definitely a nice change from the cold and snow in Connecticut!

Everything about Singapore is just so different! I have to be extra careful when crossing the street because everything is opposite from the States. Traffic drives on the left side of the street, so it gets a little tricky. And cars do not stop! We were crossing the street the other day, and this car was not slowing down at all for us. If my friend hadn't stopped walking, the car would literally have hit him. And cars drive FAST. I guess that's just city life for you. Something I am definitely not used to.

So far it's been nice meeting new people, meeting up with family, and just exploring Singapore in general. Yesterday, we decided to go to Little India for lunch. We saw neat little shops like this one that I want to go back and explore more in the future.

The one place we've consistently gone to over and over again is the large mall, VivoCity. Inside is a large store called VivoMart that is basically the Singapore version of Wal-Mart. We've gone there everyday so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up there at some point today. Plus the mall is so big in general that you need days to finish shopping. I swear I walked at least 5 miles just walking around in the mall. And even as we were leaving we discovered that there were shops that we hadn't even seen before. The only problem is that clothes are so expensive! I left room in my suitcase for many purchases, but so far it seems like the only affordable thing here is food and transportation. Which I'm definitely not complaining about since the food is delicious.

Overall, I'm having the time of my life. I miss home a lot (not the weather, just the people), and it's weird that everyone at home is in a different time zone; but I know everyone is only one skype call away! But now we're off to Chinatown I believe, for more scrum-diddly-umptious food! So long for now, and harass me if you don't see another post in the next few days!

Love,
Reb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No pictures of palm trees?

Fab Five said...

Reb! I miss you already! Keep up the blog...it's great!